Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Glow For It, starring The National

Day #546 Golding Glow / Victory Brewing Company, Downingtown, PA
Previously from this brewery: Seriously?  Just do me a favor and just click this link to see all of the Victory reviews.

Last night we braved the elements (up yours, Tropical Storm Andrea!) and ventured to the Mann Center to see The National in concert.  Admittedly, I'm a relative newcomer to this band, and only knew a few songs, but liked the ones I knew.  I came away soggy around the edges from my walk to the venue, (outdoors, but thankfully the seats are under cover) but very impressed with the band, their performance, and the songs.  They're mellow and spiritual and optimistic and melancholy and passionate all at the same time, driven by the lead singer's unique baritone voice.  You should definitely check them out.  I wasn't as impressed with opening act, Broken Projectors, who sounded like each band member was playing a different song at the same time.  I kid they were fine no not really they weren't very good.

Today's review is from a past trip to Victory - a glass of Golding Glow.  When I saw the name of this beer, I instantly thought of The Last Dragon, the kung-fu movie featuring the Shogun of Harlem as the chief villain, who had a sort of "the Force" from Star Wars-esque thing happening and would glow before kicking someone's ass.  What does this have to do with anything?  Not much, other than the fact that the Shogun of Harlem is sort of my spirit animal.  What can I say.
Who's the man now, Leroy?
Back to the review.  In the glass, this beer is a clear dark gold color, with a nice fluffy head. There's a mix of malt and fruit in the aroma, and when you take a sip, you get a nice fruit profile (grapes, I suppose) with a good malt sweetness balanced by a touch of hop bitterness.  I believe this is only available on draft, so make your way to Downingtown or a bar that has some deep cuts from the Victory catalog on draft.
Am I the prettiest?  SHO NUFF.
Good easy drinking beer, probably very refreshing after you get The Glow and teach someone a lesson with your fists.
You rang?
Thing to Think About Today:
As I've already introduced you to the film The Last Dragon, I'll stick with the music theme.  The National has popped up in this space once before with Mr. November (where I decided my beard made me look like the lead singer), so let's go for Fake Empire.  An introspective song that I quite enjoy.

"Turn the light out, say goodnight / No thinking for a little while
Let's not try to figure out everything at once / It’s hard to keep track of you falling through the sky"

Too relaxed for a day where most everyone I know is drunkenly tailgating at a Kenny Chesney concert and you're too lazy to click on the Mr. November link?  Fine, special double song post with something faster for you then. Mistaken for Strangers to close out the day.  See you all soon, friends.

" 'Cause you don’t mind seeing yourself in a picture /
As long as you look faraway, as long as you look removed "

No comments:

Post a Comment