Breweries "Visited"

Friday, June 21, 2013

Day 559: Karl Strauss Boardwalk Black Rye IPA

If I had any words left today, this is where they would go. But I don't. So now there are words here but they really aren't a good post at all. Maybe a very tasty beer from Karl Strauss will make up for that.

Tonight's Karl Strauss beer is the Boardwalk Black Rye IPA. It pours an almost black color ale with a tan head. It smells of roasted malt, dark bread and lightly of chocolate. The flavor is toasty, roasted coffee with just the hint of burnt coffee. There's undertones of a big bold IPA--lots of hoppiness hiding out beneath all that rich, roasted flavor. It finishes big with lots of hop bite. I noticed a little nuttiness coming out as it warmed a bit. And even though it had a nice, thin mouthfeel, I felt like it was definitely a sipping beer.

In the link below to my review of the Karl Strauss sampler, I reviewed a bonus pour that I got of Boardwalk Black Rye IPA. They had it on cask that day and threw it in with my sampler for free! I love a good deal! I noted that it had a creamy, almost lactic consistency which surprised me at the time. After having it bottled, it's now dawned on me that the cask pour itself lends the creamy texture. So now I know.

Beer stats
Style: Double IPA
ABV: 8&
IBUs: 80
Rating: Good

Previously reviewed from Karl Strauss
My review of a Karl Strauss sampler from a trip to San Diego last summer
His review of Big Barrel Double IPA, Red Trolley ale

No comments:

Post a Comment