Breweries "Visited"

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Day 551: Southern Tier 2XMas

From the moment I opened today's beer, this song has been stuck in my head.


Most specifically the line, "The day after my birthday is not my birthday." In my version, the lyrics aren't quite as catchy. But that hasn't stopped me from singing, "The day after Christmas is not Christmas." Is the Christmas beer still a Christmas beer even when it gets opened in June?

Chew on that while I sip on this.

This is Southern Tier Brewing Company's 2XMas--a double spiced ale. It's a seasonal ale brewed in the tradition of Swedish Glogg with two varieties of hops, four varieties of malts, figs, orange peel, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and ginger. And it tastes exactly like the holidays!

It pours a medium-tone brown ale with a thin head. It smells like pie spice...cinnamon and cloves. There's also some honey in the smell. It drinks with a medium consistency and feels full in my mouth. It's spicy and tastes of clove and figs. And just a little bit of cherry. It's a bit boozy but nothing overwhelming. This is also a very, very aromatic beer. It scented my kitchen from the moment I opened the bottle and even as it sat in my glass, it continued to smell amazing.

Beer stats
Style: Spiced ale
ABV: 8%
IBUs: Unknown
Rating: Excellent

Previously reviewed from Southern Tier
His review of 2XMas, Unearthly Imperial IPA with an oddly appropriate holiday song,
My review of Creme Brulee Stout and musings on why avocados are so powerful

No comments:

Post a Comment