Breweries "Visited"

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Day 416: Success and Breckenridge Brewery

There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.
                                                  - author unknown

For the past few weeks, I've seen this quote pop up on a number of blogs that I read. It resonated at first because it was a new year and I was trying to make healthy changes. For me that meant parking on the lowest level of our garage and walking up the four levels of stairs to get into our building. 

Then there were the moments where I was feeling a bit more of a leader and said it to myself as I pushed myself out of my career comfort zone and took on new projects. Then there was this week, where it translates directly into this photo in my mind's eye.
Around and around I go. (Source)
Stairs ---> Height ---> Altitude ---> Mountains ---> Colorado ---> Breckenridge

Breckinridge Brewery 471 Small Batch is a double IPA brewed in Colorado. The Small Batch series allows for some experiments and this one is definitely a success in my book.  

From the Breckenridge website, it's described as a small batch, limited edition ale. It's brewed with Pale, Munich, Caramel-30, Carapils and Torrified Wheat malts, with Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe and Fuggles hops. It has a big sweet mouthfeel, followed by more hoppiness than you've ever had at one time. 

I thought this was a particularly good DIPA. It poured an opaque apricot color with a minimal white head. The smell was peachy, fruity hops. And lots of them. The flavor was lots of fruit forward hops. I noted a medley of tastes but peach was dominant and there were undertones of citrus. It rounded out nicely with some caramel hoppiness and biscuit. It's bold but very smooth to drink.  

Beer stats
Style: Double IPA
ABV: 9.2%
IBUs: 70
Rating: Great

Previously reviewed from Breckenridge
Christmas Ale and fond memories of getting the biggest television ever
Gary's thoughts on 471 Small Batch
Gary's review of Agave Wheat, which is one of my favorites!
My 2nd post ever--Vanilla Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment