Breweries "Visited"

Monday, January 7, 2013

Day 394: Great Lakes and Better Late Than Never

This beer blog thing is so much easier when I only write every other day. I'm stockpiling beers like mad! The only problem is that some of the reviews aren't as timely as I would have intended.  Take for example the Christmas ale from Great Lakes Brewing Company.  Christmas is so over despite my decorations still hanging around the house. I'm over the clutter and can't wait to pack them all up next weekend and continue purging all the extraneous junk from my kingdom.

I guess the purging begins with this dusty review for a beer I drank back in December.  The Christmas Ale is handcrafted with honey and spices per the label.  
It poured a bright crystalline copper color with a loose ecru head. It smells lightly of honey and mostly of general beer. The taste has a much stronger honey profile with a good amount of malt. There's also just enough of a hint of hop at the finish to keep it well balanced.  I can definitely taste the spices, but I can't quite name them. Overall this is a good beer.

Beer stats
Style: Winter warmer
ABV: 7.5%
IBUs: 30
Rating: Good

Links to prior reviews for Great Lakes Brewing Company
Gary's thoughts on this winter warmer are here
My review of Dortmunder Gold and then there's Gary's thoughts on Dortmunder

No comments:

Post a Comment