Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Do They Have Mother's Day in Canada?

Beer #155 Ostalgia Blonde / Hopfenstark Brewery, L'Assomption, Quebec, Canada

After an amazingly productive day yesterday, today was a day of relaxation and family time.  Spent the day with the fam at Mom & Dad's house, despite both my sister and I offering to host a Mother's Day gathering. Mom's a good cook and likes to do it, and having Mom host allowed my sister-in-law and nephew to stop by as well.  Plus, my nieces - who absolutely love dogs - got to spend the afternoon with our pups.  If that's not enough, I picked up some great belated birthday & anniversary gifts, so it was a great day in all.

Now comes some additional relaxation on the deck to close out the day. Today's beer is a Belgian pale ale from a Canadian brewery, Hopfenstark.  It pours a hazy apricot with a thick white head and gives off aromas of bread, flowers, and fruit.  The taste has a balance of yeast, orange, and a persistent spice. There's also a nice sweetness hiding out in there too.  Easy drinking at 5% ABV, I would definitely like to have this beer again.  Particularly as my allergies went apeshit today, and my assessment of aroma and flavor may be way off base.  Someone buy one and let me know what you think.

Safe to cross & drink!

So what is Ostalgia?  This word references nostalgia for the former East German nation, as some folks are apparently struggling with the culture of the unified Germany.  One example is their desire to retain the green figure in their crosswalk signals - one of which can be seen on the bottle.  What that has to do with this brewery, I'm not yet sure.  However, now you'll know when it's safe to cross the street should you ever find yourself in the country formerly known as East Germany!

Things to Think About Today:
In honor of Mother's Day, let's the incredibly amazing sounds of Paul Simon and his Mother and Child Reunion carry us home.  To all of the mothers out there (especially mine), thank you for the time and energy spent raising us all.  You guys rock, and I hope you all had a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment