Breweries "Visited"

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Day: 494: Ommegang Gnomegang

I wish I had words about the mess in Boston. I thought they would come to me in the days following the tragedy, but they continue to elude me. That's most likely because Mr. Blog Named Brew used them all in a beautiful post yesterday. Ditto. But it was tennis for me.


Gnomegang is Ommegang's Belgian pale ale that my friend John has been telling me about for a year plus. I almost started to think it didn't exist until I found it on draft at TJ's this past weekend. 

It poured a hazy gold with a medium white head. After my first sip, I declared, "Welll John wasn't wrong. That's good beer."

It smells and tastes strongly of Belgian candi sugar. There's a nice spice to it..maybe cloves? It drinks with a lovely smoothness and has a kick at the finish. Lots of complex and rich flavors happening in there. Nice level of maltiness. It gives me a nice warm feeling, but isn't cloying. In fact, I thought the finish was nice in the level of dryness.

Beer stats
Style: Belgian pale ale
ABV: 9.5%
IBUs: Unknown
Rating: Excellent

Previously reviewed from Ommegang
His and hers reviews of Biere d'Hougoumont
My review of Three Philosophers, the first beer I drank after year one was complete
Gary's take on Three Philosophers and with a title like Pirate Dogs and Pimps, how can you not read it?
One of my favorite beers, Aphrodite

No comments:

Post a Comment