Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Well Seasoned

Day #491 Roma / Birradamare, Fiumicino, Italy
Previously from this brewery: Kuasapa, more Kuasapa, Rossa, and more Rossa

Was just looking through my fridge, and I realized I now have some greatly out of season beers that need to be addressed.  There's some Christmas ales and some barleywines, both of which grow less enticing with each day closer to summer.  Now, I'm by no means a beer snob (I prefer the label, "beer geek"), so I don't believe styles of beer can only be consumed at certain times of year.  You want a shandy in December?  Fire away!  Perhaps this blog needs an "odd beer" week and try to get some of the beers geared toward winter cleared out.  Anyone want to come over and join me?  Let's do it!

Today's beer, on the other hand, is both appropriate and not - a bottle of Roma, a Marzen style beer from Birradamare in Italy.  Marzenbier means "March beer" in German, and is brewed in the spring (appropriate!) to be consumed at Octoberfest (oops!).  Eh, I'll allow it.

In the glass, you see an amber color, with a wispy slightly off-white head.  The aroma is a blast of candi sugar and lightly toasted malt.  When you take a sip, you find a plethora of sweet malt, bread, and some dark fruit.  A touch of earthy bitterness to round things out.  Not bad, even if it's not quite October yet.
Ciao!
This beer (and Kuasapa) came in an 11.1oz bottle.  I hereby admit I'm not looking forward to a trend of beers in bottles smaller than 12oz, even if it is a fun shaped and well designed bottle smaller than 12oz.

Thing to Think About Today:
I'm currently sitting in the yard, enjoying a beer outside while the dogs snooze and enjoy a gentle spring breeze.  Was contemplating earlier today that I need a boat.  I think the dogs would like that, and we all know the ladies do (wink, wink).  So, another selection from the Yacht Rock playlist today: Seals and Crofts and Summer Breeze.  Ever so slightly out of season for spring, sort of like my beer.  It still works.

No comments:

Post a Comment