Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Day 497: Victory Otto

For the first time in what feels like an eternity, I feel like there's light at the end of the tunnel. There are only 20 items left on my check list for the big gala on Thursday--down from maybe a few hundred on a 19 page document. The logistical ballet that supports this week of activities has been rehearsed, revised and rehearsed again. At sunrise on Monday, our banners will be hung on the building's facade. My private starter's gun. A sign that the greatest week of my work-year is here. A visual cue to the world to watch out...that we're ready to go and it is going to be amazing.

It seems apt to review a beer from Victory Brewing Company when feeling like this.


Otto is a combination of a caramel-sweet dubbel with flavors of a smokey rauchbier. This one has been lingering in our fridge for awhile. From the research that I did, it appears that Otto was a one-time release from Victory and that happened around July 2011. Has this beer been hanging in my fridge for that long? How is that even possible? 

Anyway, I digress. Otto poured a lovely mahogany color with a thin tan head. It smells like fireplace and malt. It has a smokey flavor with notes of dark, pitted fruit. It's a bit nutty as well and there are hints of caramel in there. The smokiness doesn't let go--even through the finish.

Beer stats
Style: Rauchbier
ABV: 8.1%
IBUs: Unknown
Rating: Great

Previously reviewed from Victory
Mr. Blog Named Brew's thoughts on Otto
Swing reviews by me and him
Gary's review of Hundred HorsesNATO IPAand V-12
Here I attempt to drink ALL THE BEERS!



No comments:

Post a Comment