Breweries "Visited"

Monday, April 1, 2013

Day 478: Tired Hands Bokonon

If there's two things I can count on from Tired Hands Brewing Company, it is good beer and obscure literary references. I present to you Bokonon as evidence.



Bokonon is an enlightened hoppy brown ale per the description on record at Tired Hands. Since I'm used to the peculiarity of Tired Hands' beer names, I got to googling this one. Turns out that Bokonon is a Kurt Vonnegut-created religion from his book titled Cat's Cradle. I haven't read much Vonnegut so this was new information to me. 

Oddly and perhaps in a twist of Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon, I read this quote by Vonnegut just last week:
Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. 
I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.

As I find myself recklessly hurdling into one of the busiest times of my year, I find solace in this particular quote. And I agree wholeheartedly that it is by far better to laugh than cry.

But what about that beer?

It poured a hazy chocolate brown color with a full tan head. It had a piney hop smell. The flavor is exactly as promised: a hoppy brown ale. It's light, piney, a little earthy. Has lots of malts. There's a bitter chocolate thing happening and has a great mouthfeel.  If I were spending more time at Tired Hands that day, I would have definitely ordered a second one. 

Beer stats
Style: Brown ale
ABV: 6.9%
IBUs: Unknown
Rating: Excellent

Previously reviewed from Tired Hands
Gary's review of Good, Good Things, Fripp

No comments:

Post a Comment