Breweries "Visited"

Monday, May 6, 2013

Day 513: Smuttynose Really Old Brown Dog


I've  been chewing on this for awhile. 
There are days I feel like I've grown up and there are days that I still feel like a kid discovering the world. I prefer when the latter is the more dominant.

And in some fun musing-beer review symmetry, today's beer of choice is the Smuttynose Really Old Brown Dog ale. It's an old ale or a stock ale.



What's that you ask? Old ale typically is laid up to mature--becoming "old" if you will. Style notes indicate the color varies from rich, dark amber to a very dark brown. The style features fruity, vinous and deep malty flavors, giving it almost port-like qualities. Slight acidity is not uncommon.

So how did I find the Really Old Dog? It poured a dense, dark brown color with a loose, bubbly light tan head. It smells hoppy and kind of like cold pumpernickel bread. There are hints of licorice as you drink it and inhale and exhale thoughtfully. (Oh yeah, I'm a good time at the bar!) The flavor reminds me of a bitter cola...sort of like a coffee bean without the coffee flavor...just the green bitterness. It's a heavy beer--both in alcohol content and consistency.

Beer stats
Style: Old ale or stock ale
ABV: 10%
IBUs: Unknown
Rating: Good

Previously reviewed from Smuttynose
My review of Robust Porter
Gary's review of Finest Kind IPA

No comments:

Post a Comment