Breweries "Visited"

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Day 516: Tired Hands Eye 4A Face

On more than one occasion during the past few weeks (okay, on about 139 occasions during the past few weeks), I have had the overwhelming urge to scream, "My mother is dead. I'm not buying her a piece of your insipid jewelry to show her I care." Or "No, my dead mother doesn't need flowers." It has made me feel a bit like a crazy person. Where is this what-I-can-only-describe-as very finite, but blinding rage coming from?

I'm pretty confident that I've made peace with having lost my mother way too soon. In fact Mom and I (and Mr. Blog Named Brew, too) are having an extended adventure together. One day, I'll clarify that statement so it reads less crazy and more sentimental. 

So what's with the rage? 

I feel like I don't matter. I don't have a mother. I mean I do, but just not one who I get to hang out with on Sunday in the traditional way. Consumerism is making me feel less important on the second Sunday in May. Consumerism is telling me that I don't count because I can't "celebrate" on Sunday. Kmart, Zales, JCPenney  and many others have all made it clear that I also don't count because I decided I'm not procreating. 

Well guess what? All those stores, all those advertising agencies and each one of those marketers can go fuck themselves. Mom and I and the Mr. are going to have another adventure on Sunday and it's going to be better than any store-bought, prepackaged nonsense I'm expected to partake in.

So there. And yes, I do feel much better now that I got that off my chest. Now let's talk beer.

Eye 4A Face is one of the newest saisons from Tired Hands Brewing Company. As I've mentioned before, if I write about a Tired Hands beer and it sounds good--run to their brewery in Ardmore (PA) immediately because it's very likely you will never find it again. 


Eye 4A Face poured a hazy orange-ish/brown color with a loose white head. It smells a little funky and woodsy. The flavor has lots of wood and a perfumey vanilla taste. It's very malty, but also has a good amount of hoppiness to it. I'd presume from the dry-hopping with Amarillo hops. It's complex in both aroma and flavor but is quite easy to drink.

Beer stats
Style: Saison
ABV: 4.5%
IBUs: Unknown
Rating: Great

Previously reviewed from Tired Hands
I'm dropping Vonnegut knowledge and a review of Bokonon
My review of Tabel PrintempsGood, Good Things, Trois Enfants
Gary's review of Good, Good ThingsFripp, Pacific Jade, Fauna

1 comment:

  1. Love this!! My mother died 2 years ago and I hate Mothers Day now. For almost a month we have to be reminded daily that we are without our Moms. I try not to feel a jealous rage for those who still have their mothers on an everyday , but it's practically impossible in May (made only worse by the fact Mom died in May). Is there any way to skip over this month?

    ReplyDelete