Breweries "Visited"

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Day 535: Hooker Munich Style Lager

In random news of the day, I attended a meditation class during my lunch hour. I thought it sounded like a great idea because I've been feeling increasingly put upon by the incessant noise of the modern world. Phone buzzing, dinging, ringing, etc. Texts, emails, Facebook notifications, Instagram likes...the list goes on and on. Going out and having everyone at the table with their attention turned to their smart phones--reporting on experiences rather than just experiencing the moment. If it sounds like I'm pointing fingers, don't worry, I am. But I'm including myself among those at whom that finger is being pointed.

So how did I like that meditation class? It was one of the hardest things I've ever attempted. The noise in my head is astounding and it creates a constant struggle to find quiet and to find my breathing.Who knew it was such hard work to do what in essence feels like nothing?

What kept creeping into my thoughts? Everything on my work to-do list...this blog...what's for dinner. It was a startling and eye-opening hour.

But now I have to check my phone and drink a beer--a Thomas Hooker Munich-style lager to be exact.

It poured a transparent golden color and smelled generally of beer. The flavor was grassy and grainy with a bitter finish. It had a medium mouthfeel.

What is a Munich helles lager? From beeradvocate.com, it was Germany's answer to the popularity of Czech pils. It's a bit more malty but has a similar yet subdued spicy hop of a Czech Pils. And in case you were wondering about helles, it's German for bright.

I would say that Thomas Hooker got it right. While it's not my preferred beer style, I can say that it was good.

Beer stats
Style: Munich-style helles lager
ABV: 4.8%
IBUs: 13
Rating: Good

Previously reviewed from Thomas Hooker
Reviews of the blonde and helles lager from Mr. Blog Named Brew
My review of the blonde

No comments:

Post a Comment