Breweries "Visited"

Monday, March 4, 2013

Day 450: Iron Hill Bourbon Stout and a Food Report

If there's anything that rivals my love of craft beer, it's finding a great new restaurant. And we've been on a good run lately.

Our latest adventure is taking us to Alla Spina in Philadelphia for dinner tonight. I've heard great things about both the food and the beer list and I can't wait to check it out.

Last week we were reunited with a long lost Mexican restaurant Binni & Flynn's. Binni & Flynn's was a staple of our post-college life in King of Prussia (Pennsylvania)--relatively inexpensive Tex-Mex and giant margaritas. What's not to love? They went out of business and for years I lamented the fact that there was a serious lack of Tex-Mex in my neighborhood. Lo and behold the daughter of the original owners has reincarnated the restaurant and it's already satisfying my need for margaritas, beans and cheese!

A couple of weeks ago, we found another Mexican restaurant in Phoenixville called Hacienda La Michoacana.  It's a spin-off from the people who run Taqueria La Michoacana in Norristown, which I've tended to avoid because it's Norristown and you know, I don't need to get mugged. I find Phoenixville to be much more endearing and find myself there more and more often. Somehow after a giant and satisfying dinner at Hacienda La Michoacana, me, Mr. Blog Named Brew and good friends found ourselves across the street at the Iron Hill Brewery. And that's where I found inspiration for tonight's post...
The photo doesn't do it justice. This was
one of the most beautiful beers I've seen .
It's Iron Hill Brewery's bourbon porter.  It poured a dense, dark brown color with a thick, creamy tan head. They were serving it on nitro and I think that made it even more delectable. It has all the hallmarks of a great porter with the added bonus of being aged in bourbon barrels. Roasted, slightly burnt malts. Balanced hop bitterness. Easy to drink. This one has loads of creamy chocolate, some rich vanilla and light bourbon notes. It smells and tastes like dessert and went down all too easily!

Beer stats

Style: Porter
ABV: 5.3%
IBUs: Unknown
Rating: Excellent

Previously reviewed from Iron Hill
Gary thinks he's Iron Man (Ironbound Ale)
My musings on Phoenixville's renaissance and a Belgian tripel

No comments:

Post a Comment