Breweries "Visited"

Friday, March 8, 2013

Day 454: Bear Republic and Bad Ideas


I'm at an event last week and I walk over to a table to hear, "This is the one with the beer blog." Definitely not the average introduction and I like to be different. It turns out that I was about to make friends with fellow beer geeks. It also turns out that one of the said beer geeks had a mixed case of beer in his car and I was offered a chance to rifle though it for new-to-me beers. 

Chit chat ensues. Beers are drank. We revisit the notion of that mixed case of beer. I'm fairly certain that if she were still alive, my mother would be horrified that I ventured into a parking garage at night with two men that I just met twenty minutes earlier. And yet after a hearty, "Are we doing this?" from Kelli, I threw caution to the wind, grabbed my keys and headed off. Typically beer exchanges aren't one so one-sided and I'll admit a certain level of discomfort without having any beer to offer in return. 
Trippy evidence of me caught in the act
courtesy of Kelli!
But I did score three new-to-me beers and provided a certain level of entertainment when I had a six pack holder at the ready in the trunk of my car. Thank yous were shared and I headed back to the event although I'll admit the entire time I was debating what to take, I felt like the new girl at a swingers party. I wasn't quite sure what to do.

One of the beers from that night is the Red Rocket from Bear Republic, a bastardized scottish ale per the label. It poured a deep amber color with a thin off-white head. It smells of malt, bread and hops. The flavor is rich, with caramel and fruit, and lots of fruity hops. It left lots of lacing behind and also had a hoppy after taste. 

Beer stats
Style: Scottish ale
ABV: 6.8%
IBUs: 67
Rating: Great

Previously reviewed from Bear Republic
Gary shares a wealth of bear photos and puns in his review of Wet Hopped Wild Racer 5
My review of Peter Brown Ale

No comments:

Post a Comment