Breweries "Visited"

Thursday, March 7, 2013

To the Left, to the Left

Beer #453 400 Pound Monkey / Left Hand Brewing Company, Longmont, CO
Previously from this brewery: Marci loves their Milk Stout, my take on Sawtooth Ale

I'm a bit tied up today with some important business tonight, so I'm going to get right to work.  Today's beer review is the 400 Pound Monkey from Left Hand Brewing.  In the glass, this English pale ale has a dark gold hue, with a thin head.  If you stick your nose in the glass (as I do for every beer I drink, apparently), you pick up a rich malty aroma.  When you take a sip (I always do that too), you get a perfect balance of bready malt and bitter hops, with plenty of floral notes, caramel, and mild citrus.  Look, I love hop heavy beers as much as the next guy, but secretly I think I prefer ESBs and English pale ales for the wonderful job they do blending malt and hops together for a dynamic flavor experience.  This imposing sounding beer (not quite as mean as an 800 lb gorilla, but still pretty bad ass) is actually quite mellow.  Don't let the name scare you, you can drink this one without fear.
Monkey Man
Dearest Left Hand Brewing Company,
When I visited, I purchased the glass this beer ended up being poured into.  But I also stole the Milk Stout pint glass my beer came in, and for this I apologize.  To make up for it, I will continue to buy more of your beer.  I'm all about keeping it honest and talking about what's lurking in my mind, you see.  Good for the soul.
Affectionately yours,
This Guy

Thing to Think About Today:
Most days, I find a creative way to tie in the name of the beer or brewery to the post.  I like to think of it a as a creative bit of punctuation at the end of every post.  Some days I need to stretch and really ask you to make a leap to put things together, and some days I can't find anything to tie together.  Today is not one of those days.  You see, this beer is just begging for Monkey Man by the Rolling Stones.  Have a good Thursday, my friends.

"I always have an unmade bed, don't you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment