Breweries "Visited"

Monday, June 17, 2013

Day 555: Widmer Brothers W Series

Last Sunday I happened to find myself driving home listening to XPN, which is a rare occurrence. My XPN listening tends to be a Monday through Friday endeavor. I caught a new-to-me show Sound Bites, which is produced by Chicago Public Radio. They were discussing Johnny Cash's Live from Folsom Prison album, which just so happens to be celebrating its 45th anniversary. It also happens to be one of my favorite Johnny Cash albums--raw, gut-wrenching and beautiful storytelling.

As the Sound Bite hosts waxed nostalgic about the album, they dropped a bit of mind-bending knowledge on me. Shel Silverstein--beloved children's author, most notably of The Giving Tree--wrote A Boy Named Sue for Johnny Cash. What, what!?!

Chew on that while I sip on this...


This is Widmer Brothers Brewing's W Series Marionberry Hibiscus Gose. It's the first beer from my cross country beer trade that I cracked open. It's an ale brewed with coriander with hibiscus and marionberry added.

What's the W Series? From the Brewmance website, I learned the following. It is an exciting take on the popular tradition of seasonal beer offerings. Every spring since 2005, Widmer Brothers' brewers have been asked to select one special recipe to be released as part of this series. Anything goes; from traditional beer styles to experimental. The brewmasters' W Series has produced several exceptional beers, including: Drifter Pale Ale, Brrr Seasonal Ale, and Pitch Black IPA, which have each gone on to be a part of the brewery's regular lineup.

The label also states "perfecting the art of tart" which is going to win me over in any battle. Tart beer = happiness for me.

It poured a rosy, sort of fruit punch looking ale with a thin pale pink head. It was bottled on March 18, 2013. It smells of fruit and something organic...something green and fresh. The flavor is slightly saline, fruity and green. The green, herbally flavor has to be the coriander, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to my grave being the person who can never distinguish coriander in a flavor profile. And if it weren't for spellcheck, I'm also pretty sure I'll always attempt to spell it with a double r. Overall it has a nice subtle berry flavor with a bit of complexity from the mild salinity. There's just a hint of tartness and it is lovely.

Beer stats
Style: Gose
ABV: 5.5%
IBUs: 15
Rating: Great

Previously reviewed from Widmer
My review of Brr (with a seriously great song from the David Wax Museum) and Barrel-aged Brrbon
His review of Brrbon, Citra Blonde Summer Brew

And I said, "My name is 'Sue!' How do you do!"

No comments:

Post a Comment