Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Keeping it Quiet

Day #540 Riserva / Weyerbacher Brewing Company, Easton, PA
Previously from this brewery: Merry Monks, Double Simcoe IPA

"She said, 'I don't believe in any old Jesus.
And if there was a God, then why is my ass
the perfect height for kicking?"
- Bell X1, Rocky Took a Lover

Frequent readers of this blog may know that I love music.  I like nothing more than finding the right songs for the right mood, and then sharing those finds with everyone either in this blog or through an iPod mix at a party or tailgate.  I enjoy having people comment on the eclectic combinations I put together, and I like surprising people with the song that they absolutely need to hear at just the right moment.

A mix I rarely ever share from is my Quiet Mix; a collection of songs I like to listen to when I want to slow it down, take time to reflect and think, have a pity party and feel bad for myself, or just find a quiet, peaceful place to be alone in between my ears (my brain can be a cluttered, chaotic, noisy place).  The quote above has been running through my head lately; I bring it up in my mind whenever life throws a particularly well timed uppercut that I can't dodge or block.  Just like the quote says, sometimes I feel like I've earned the crap life hands out because my ass is really just the perfect height for kicking.  I don't know where I'm going with this post; I just had that song running through my head and then started typing.  Anyway, everyone should have a Quiet Mix.  If you need some suggestions, I'd be happy to share; I'm always happy to share my thoughts on music.

Tonight I give you Riserva from Weyerbacher, an American Wild Ale aged on raspberries in oak barrels.  Intrigued?  Yes, I believe you are.  This beer has a reddish rose hue with a thin edge of white head.  Out of the bottle, there are aromas tart raspberries, and when you take a sip you get taken away into a happy place with flavors of raspberries and oak, and just the right bit of sourness.  I drink a fair number of beers, and when my first reaction to a sip is, "holy shit!" you can feel comfortable that this is a world class beer.  Riserva beer has a very pleasing carbonation, and it hides a rather potent 11.4% ABV incredibly well.  I was shocked to see the ABV this high, as you don't notice the alcohol whatsoever.  Congratulations to Weyerbacher, as I'm awarding this beer a place in my coveted Top 25 list!
Soooo good!
I'm not the only one to fall in love with this creation.  It was very recently crowned 'Best New Beer' at the Philadelphia Inquirer's 2013 Brew-vitational.  

Thing to Think About Today:
No way I quote this song in the opening paragraph, and then not give you the goods.  I've only shared Bell X1 here in this space once before, but they're a band I enjoy greatly.  If you close your eyes (not now, you're reading), you can hear the Talking Heads influences hiding in there somewhere.  A high compliment from me, indeed.  Enjoy something quiet to unwind from your weekend and find an inner peace before the work week starts again.  Night, friends....

"She said I'll shine for you / that's what I'll do"

No comments:

Post a Comment