Breweries "Visited"

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Beer 109: Weyerbacher’s Merry Monks


Today I was part of something pretty amazing.  I can’t say more than that because I don’t want to jinx a good thing.  But I finally feel like all this hard work may finally pay off.

***

To celebrate I opened a big bottle of Weyerbacher’s Belgian-style golden ale -- Merry Monks.  It poured a cloudy apricot color.  It had a full white head and was very active in the glass.  The scent is sweet and full of an undetermined fruit smell.   The taste was predominantly alcohol, which I found disappointing.  There was also a creamy doughiness to it and cloves.  It drank with a full mouthfeel - sort of creamy (have fun with that one!) - but finished dry.

While this was a perfectly fine beer to drink, I think I prefer some of Weyerbacher’s other offerings:  Verboten, Blanche and the Winter Warmer.  I’m also very intrigued by the Rapture - a sour red ale aged in pinot noir barrels.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment