Breweries "Visited"

Friday, March 2, 2012

Beer 83: L’Ultima Luna Barleywine


An exceptionally trying week was capped off with an exceptionally trying Friday.  What’s the answer to a terrible day like today?  Italian beer.  Mostly because the shape of the bottle makes me happy.

Tonight’s beer comes to me from Birrificio del  Ducato via the  Whole Foods in Devon, Pennsylvania.  It is their barley wine -- L’Ultima Luna.  It is aged for nine months in French oak barrels previously used to age Amarone della Valpolicella -- a wine that is very ripe, full bodied and raisiny.   Check out the wikipedia entry on it.  Quite interesting.

L’Ultima Luna translates to last moon and  was created to celebrate the impending birth of the brew master’s first child.  The beer man at Whole Foods said that it was one of his top five all time beer experiences.  With that I was intrigued.

I popped the lid off the bottle, turned to throw it away and as I turned back to the bottle, the scent hit me immediately.  I was enveloped in an aroma of red wine.  The color was a deep, dark, almost muddy brown.  As I worked my way to the bottom of the glass, I some ruby highlights became more noticeable.  

A good swirl released the scent of milk chocolate and cabernet.  Again as I worked my way through the glass, the smell took on the aroma of chocolate chip cookie dough batter.  This beer drinks thick and has no carbonation.  The flavor carries big, bold cabernet notes.  I also got brown sugar, more chocolate and leather.  I kid you not.  Leather.   I didn’t notice any hop characteristics -- just smooth malt goodness.

Would I put this one in my top five beer experiences?  No, but I will put it in my top 25.

p.s. If you’re wondering about barleywine, here’s some intelligence.  It’s most definitely a beer.  In fact, it is a big beer - one of the strongest beer styles out there.  They are typically lively and fruity, sometimes sweet, and can be bittersweet.  The flavors can run the gamut from intense fruit to intense hops.  Luckily I got intense fruit!  The body is typically thick and the ABV is evident.  They are usually great for cellaring and age quite well like a good wine.

Who knew you would get some knowledge with my usual ramblings! Cheers...

No comments:

Post a Comment