Breweries "Visited"

Monday, March 12, 2012

Beer 93: Ichtegem’s Flemish Red Ale (Grand Cru)


I have iPad 3 envy.  It has a better camera (with a flash!) than my iPad and that is the one thing that bothers me about my version.  This is coming from the same person who swore off upgrading any of her technology following the last Blackberry upgrade and purchase of the iPad 2.  There was also a three day stretch when I was afraid of our new copier/printer/fax/atomic missile launcher at work.  Oh they don’t promote the missile launching capabilities, but I know it’s in there someone.  You just need to find the correct sub-menu.

So there you have it.  I am mysterious like that.

***

Tonight’s beer comes from the Belgium’s Brouwerij Strubbe -- Ichtegem's Grand Cru Flemish Red Ale.

It poured dark brown with hints of red and was relatively still.  The head, which was practically nonexistent, left a thin ring of off white foam around the edges of the glass.

The scent was light balsamic vinegar.  It drank with a muted sourness and I noted some hop character.  The tartness in the flavor was also reminiscent of balsamic vinegar.   I also noted some raspberry, which was interesting.  It finished with an oak flavor and was dry.  Overall pretty good, but not among the best I’ve had.

Cheers!

p.s.  Check that totally awesome Petrus glass.  Guess who bought so much beer at The Foodery in Philly that they gave me a free glass?  Oh yeah...I'm a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment