Breweries "Visited"

Monday, March 5, 2012

Beer 86: Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels


Today nearly ended with a co-worker and me in a yelling match rather loud conversation.  Luckily we’re both “acknowledge it, fix it and move on” kind of people and the day actually ended with a much more thoughtful conversation and a game plan.  It certainly helps that we are nearly identical in personality and it absolutely helps that I’ve never had more respect and admiration for someone.

But goddamn work is grinding me down.  Too much to do.  Not enough hours in the day.  No time to be satisfied when I actually do get something accomplished.  (sigh…)

They look just like the photo!  Score!
So what is a girl to do?  Bake.  It’s my answer to pretty much any stressful situation.  I like to pretend I’m in my television studio kitchen so I measure out everything in advance and line up all the bowls.  Bowls on the left for the batter.  Bowls on the right for the crumb topping.   The precision of measuring everything.  The smell of vanilla extract.  Butter browning on the stove.  The satisfaction of stacking all those empty bowls as butter, eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar blend together…making otherworldly smells linger in the air.

Have you ever smelled brown butter?  You haven’t lived until you know that scent.

Hey, Gary -- I’ve got breakfast covered for us tomorrow.

***

And now for the beer.  Tonight’s beer is brought to us by Brouwerij Bosteels -- Tripel Karmeliet.  Am I the only one impressed at the speed with which I type brouwerij?


It poured a bright, slightly cloudy straw color.  Light white head.  Some lacing as it disappeared from my glass.  The smell is all banana, spice and bread-goodness.  The flavor is spicy with up front, malt sweetness and banana.  The carbonation is high - not super fizzy, but rather a steady stream of tiny little bubbles.  It gives the Tripel Karmeliet a finish on the dry side.  At 8.4% ABV, this is no lightweight but that fizz and banana flavor make it extremely drinkable.

Cheers!

p.s.  Big shout out to Joy the Baker for the blueberry muffin recipe!  You rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment