Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day Drinking to Night Drinking

Beer #84 Panil Barrequée / Birrificio Torrechiara, Parma, Italy

Today was a Saturday that got better with age.  Funeral in the morning in the rain, but that lead to a sunny afternoon spent drinking.  Not a bad way to transition the day, no?

Sampled some very solid beers today, but one that stood out was a beer likely to get better with age, the Panil Barriquée from Birrificio Torrechiara.  Should I ever find myself stranded in Italy, I'm now confident that I've picked up enough Italian so I can at least find a brewery.   Which is where I'd want to be if I was in Italy anyway, so all good here.

This beer is a sour wild ale aged in oak barrels (barriquée translates to "barrel"), and it pours a reddish dark amber in the glass.  There's a thin white head, and you're greeted with a sour and stone fruit aroma.  The flavor has a great mix of sour and tart cherry, with a fantastic dry finish.  You definitely pick up some of the oak barrel aging in this beer.

Shitty camera phone, represent!
For what it's worth, the version we drank came from Batch 12, bottle # 612.  So, I'm guessing this is a limited production sort of beer.  If you find it, drink one.  Or two.

Thing to Think About Today:
It's Saturday night, and my evening will end with me watching a Julia Roberts movie.  Which is to say, me playing on my phone while Marci watches Julia Roberts play the same character for the 453rd time.  Yay.

Tonight should be more exciting.  You know why?  Because Saturday night's alright for fighting.  You heard me:


I'm a juvenile product of the working class
Whose best friend floats in the bottom of a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment