Breweries "Visited"

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Bird, Bird, Bird.... Bird is the Word

Beer #94 Surly Bird / de Proef Brouwerij, Lochristi, Belgium

Keeping my hustle going, so we're back to diving in without much fanfare.  Besides, 80% of the reason you come here is for the beer updates, 20% for the fanfare.  So, think of this post as my 20% off sale - every penny counts in these challenging economic times, folks.

Today's beer is Surly Bird, a Flemish wild ale from de Proef.  This one was on tap at Teresa's Next Door in Wayne, and had a golden honey hue in the glass.  The aroma gave off the scent of yeast, sour citrus, and spice.  So far so good.  I noticed grapefruit, yeast and malt, and honey with sour and tart notes throughout.  In my notes, I wrote down "Very Good!", which is usually shorthand for a beer I find to be very good.  Definitely be on the lookout for this one.

I took a picture, but my occasionally not-that-smart phone didn't save it somehow.  Apologies.

Thing to Think About Today:
I guess if I was a bird, I might be a little surly.  What with all of the flying and the living outside and what not.  To make it easy for you, I'll go ahead and rank some additional surly birds besides tonight's beer, from least surly to most surly.  Now, you'll have a reference available should you need to judge the surliness of any birds you meet.

5. Surfin' Bird


4.  The San Diego Chicken

3. "The Birdman" Koko B. Ware

2.  It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Birds of War


1. The nesting hawks at The Franklin Institute


Stream videos at Ustream

For the past four years, this pair of red-tailed hawk have returned to a nest on a third floor ledge.  Their spot is right outside the window of the board room, and TFI staff have put up cameras so you can watch the birds lay eggs, bring home dinner, fluff up the nest, and feed their young.  Hence, your thing to think about today: Science in action.  Oh, but why do I categorize them surly, you ask?  Just wait until you see what happens to the rodents and pigeons they bring back into the nest, and you'll understand that these birds of prey are bad, bad mofos.

No comments:

Post a Comment