Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Beer 302: Piton Lager and Impartial Judging

I had my first Piton, brewed by Windward and Leeward Brewery, in July 2001. Piton was the official beer of the Generose Honeymoon in St. Lucia. It's been eleven years and three months since I enjoyed a cold, crisp Piton and all I can do is sigh and wander down memory lane.

I'm trying to be my usual judgmental self as I review this Piton. But it's tough through the hazy filter of island breeze fueled, sun drenched memories. It poured a bright gold color with a very white, short lived head. The smell is corn and malt. The taste is light-- grains and some grass. It tastes like a macrobrew lager with a little more than average flavor.


Windward and Leeward Brewery is Heineken's operation in the Caribbean. So while Piton isn't a craft beer, it is in that "can't get it easily in the U.S." category of microbrews that makes it passable for me to include on the blog. Finally I do need to recognize one of Gary's friends and coworkers who very kindly smuggled two Pitons back to the U.S. for us. Thank you!

All in all, I'll call Piton a good beer. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment