Breweries "Visited"

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Beer 306: Extra Smooth Ale by John Smith's Brewery, Sort of

I'm ridiculously excited to go to work tomorrow. The thought of a five day work week is giving me hope that I won't be buried alive under a pile of unfinished paperwork and unfiled event folders. I am a dork.

Tonight I'm drinking an Extra Smooth Ale from John Smith's Brewery. This is another very old brewery that is now owned by a giant beer conglomerate. Mr. Blog Named Brew did all the research so I'll send you over there to learn more.


It is an English pale ale. I love what a widget does to a good pour of beer. That curtain of carbonation rising up to form the thickest, most beautiful head of beer is the thing dreams are made of...sorry...I got sidetracked.

Anyway after all that settled, I got a glass of dark amber ale with a thick, off white head. It smells like something between tea and tobacco. At 3.8% ABV, it is quite easy to drink. The Extra Smooth Ale lives up to its name. It is indeed very smooth. The aroma of tea/tobacco followed through in the flavor. The creamy head was delightful and it finished with a mild hop flavor.

This is a good beer...but I think there are superior examples out there. Old Speckled Hen for example. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment