Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Beer 309: Abita Pecan Harvest Ale and a Little Perspective

Today I rode my bike twelve miles. While I was out riding, Felix Baumgartner jumped out of a space capsule hovering via helium balloon at the edge of space -- about 23 miles above Earth. After a 34 step checklist, he stepped out onto a platform the size of a skateboard deck and jumped -- free falling and surpassing the speed of sound (about 690 mph) and ultimately reaching 833 mph in nothing but a space suit. His trip up took about 2.5 hours. His trip down? Well under ten minutes.

This project was years in the making...starting in 2007. How does one commemorate the culmination of many, many years of work? With a simple statement made soaring above humankind, "I'm coming home."


USA Today has a pretty good story on the event here.

My adrenaline trip of the day? I ran over a snake on my ride. Thirty minutes later I deftly avoided another one. I imagine the adrenaline rush is pretty similar to what Felix Baumgartner experienced, no?

***

Today's beer is the Pecan Harvest Ale, an ale brewed with Louisiana pecans (5.2% ABV) from the Abita Brewing Company. It is brewed with Munich, biscuit and caramel malts and Willamette hops.


It poured a crystalline amber with a thick tan head. I could smell the nuts and malts right away. The flavor has a subtle nuttiness to it and is incredibly smooth. There are coffee notes as well. This is an interesting example of a brown ale.

I'll rate it a good beer. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment