Breweries "Visited"

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Beer 319: Three Things and a DuClaw Venom

Random thoughts...

1. I want Penn State to win Saturday's showdown against Ohio State so bad I can taste it. I can't remember a time that I've been so emotionally invested in a game. I haven't been able to focus on anything else this week. I'm reading Onward State, watching press conferences, following everyone remotely related to Penn State on twitter...I'm on overload now. I'm going to lose my mind between now and 5:30pm on Saturday.

2. You must go download Weather Puppy right now. It delivers weather conditions with adorable dog photos. For example:



3. Tomorrow is my Mom's birthday. It's weighing heavily on me.

Finally go drink a DuClaw Brewing Company Venom. It's a great beer.

DuClaw is based in Maryland. This is the description of Venom from their website: This American-Style Pale Ale is aggressively hopped giving it a citrusy flavor and aroma. No antidote needed. This beer is dark-golden, medium-bodied and very “hoppy.” It is American-style because American-grown hops are used rather that European.

Me, Gary and the bartender at TJ's all thought this was the nuttiest American pale ale we've ever had. In fact in my notes, I wrote down it's better billed as a nut brown ale or English brown ale.


It poured a red-tinged brown ale with a fluffy white head. It smells distinctly nutty. Something in the aroma reminded me of a little if bretannomyces...just a little funky. That nut aroma translated to the flavor and was very dominant. There was also a mineral chalkiness to the mouthfeel and taste. This is by far that maltiest American pale ale I've ever had. It was delicious and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm just not sure if it was supposed to taste like this.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment