Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Not a Beer to Fall For

Beer #316 Pumpkinhead Ale / Shipyard Brewing Company, Portland, ME

Another weekend in the books, thankfully filled with more picture perfect weather.  Closed things out today with another trip to the yoga dojo and a road trip to swap beers with a friend who had some hard to find beers in stock.  Apparently, through Instagram he has joined an underground network of people trading hard to find beers.  They may also be able to set you up with a mail order bride, illegal firearms, and erectile dysfunction pills without a prescription.  You just need to know their secret password, I think.

After drinking a D.L. Geary yesterday, today I'm drinking a second beer in a row from Maine, the Pumpkinhead from Shipyard Brewing.  In the spirit of full disclosure, I haven't caught the pumpkin beer fever that has been sweeping the craft beer scene each of the past few autumns.  There are some decent ones out there, but I don't go out of my way to find them.  But, in the spirit of the season, I decided to dive in and try one.  This beer pours with a clear gold color and a wispy white head.  There's a light aroma of nutmeg, and the taste is light, with some flavors of pumpkin.  It's not an overpowering beer to begin with, and what little pumpkin and spice that are on board are content to also sit quietly and not make much noise.  If you're looking for a good pumpkin beer, I suggest looking elsewhere.  If you want a light beer that has a hint or two of fall without much in the way of flavor or complexity, go ahead and buy this one.
I do like the Ichabod Crane-esque logo
So, not a winner, but it was probably doomed from the start due to my general "meh" attitude towards pumpkin beers.  In some ways, I do find that odd, as fall is my favorite time of year, and Halloween and Thanksgiving are my two favorite holidays.  We do have an Imperial Porter from Shipyard's Signature Series in the beer cellar, so we'll definitely be circling back to this brewery again in the future.

Thing to Think About Today:
If it's a beautiful fall day, why don't we stop and think about fall.  Going back to the college days to drop in some Toad the Wet Sprocket for their hit song, Fall Down.  Enjoy fall while we have it, but go easy on the pumpkin beers, dear friends.
 

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed the Weyerbacher Imperial pumpkin ale. I have not found another pumpkin that has such a explosive taste.

    ReplyDelete