Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Beer 204: Green Flash and All the Beers!

A brewery in an office park? Not as strange as it sounds.
Day #2 in San Diego took us to Green Flash Brewing Company.  We also visited Karl Strauss Brewing that afternoon, but that's another story for another day.

As our GPS guided us to Green Flash, I thought for certain it malfunctioned as we pulled into a nondescript office park.  But it turns out this was no ordinary white collar bastion -- it was home to Green Flash Brewing.     

After taking a look at the tap list, I couldn't decide so I opted for a sampler.  
Delicious sampler!
On the far right is the Saison Diego.  It was a hazy golden ale with very little head.  It's brewed with Seville orange peels, ginger and grains of paradise per the website.  It was light but spicy...a little earthy and quite tasty.

Beer #3 in the photo was the Rayon Vert.  Green Flash described it as being their flagship if they were founded in Belgium.  It's their Belgian-style pale ale and I should have known better.  But this was early in the beer-cation and I hadn't fully given in to the hop yet.  My notes indicate it was way too hoppy for me.  I went for it because it was conditioned with Brettanomyces.  That definitely added a nice dryness.  

Next up was the Double Stout Black Ale.  It poured black as night with a full light tan head.  It was fantastic.  Very roasted and creamy -- almost reminded me of a milk stout with a hint of hops in the finish.  Excellent.  

As far as the one on the left...I haven't a clue.  I stopped taking notes but based on the picture below, I really seemed to enjoy it! 
One more for the heck of it!
I probably could have stayed at Green Flash until they threw us out but luckily better sense prevailed and we continued on the great beer adventure!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment