Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Love the Drake!

Beer #211 Drake's Hefeweizen / Drake's Brewing Company, San Leandro, CA

Tomorrow starts the new job.  I don't exactly have a desk yet, and I'm being bombarded by people who want to meet about things I'm supposed to be doing.  So, I'm going to be diving into the deep end of the pool.  Even though I know everyone I'm going to be working with, it still has a first day of kindergarten feel to it, for some reason.  Hopefully I find someone to sit with at lunch....

Today's beer is the Hefeweizen from Drake's Brewing, which we had at lunch during a brief swing through Napa on our way to the airport.  It has a cloudy, hazy gold color, and your nose picks up citrus and grain aromas.  It has flavors of orange, grain, and  yeast, with some underlying banana in there as well.  At 4.5% ABV, this is a great beer for a summer day or a lunch outside (as evidenced by the photo below).



This brewery traces its roots back to 1989 and the dawn of the craft beer movement in America.  If you didn't know, male ducks are called drakes, and two ducks are included on the brewery logo.  Now, why the brewery is named Drake's is a bit more of a mystery, which I could not solve in my five minutes of internet research.

Thing to Think About Today:
So tomorrow is like the first day of school, but in a good way.  If we're thinking about the first day of school, let us pause to reflect on that elementary school all-star film, Billy Madison.  This movie tells the tale of an imbecile who won't inherit his father's business empire until he goes back and re-passes each grade from first through twelfth to prove he's not an idiot.  Back in 1995 when this movie came out, Adam Sandler was hilarious.  However, after seeing him play the same character in every movie since then, it's getting a bit tired.


If anyone challenges me at dodgeball tomorrow, I will put a beating on their ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment