Breweries "Visited"

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Giant Post!

Beer #228 Goliath / Brasserie des Geants, Irchonwelz, Belgium

Today was another day where I tried to avoid the internet, because every time I broke down and started reading up on the news of the day related to PSU, I instantly wanted to bash my head off my desk and give myself a concussion.  I get that people have strong opinions about Penn State, but reading a headline on the CNN crawl or some op-ed piece from a writer looking to get page views doesn't give you a very informed opinion.  You know what they say about opinions and assholes.

In lighter news, I saw a road crew who would have been painting lines on the road, except they were all standing around staring at an enormous paint spill that covered the road.  Ooopsie!  Yesterday, I saw a toilet sitting on the curb on my way to work, as though someone was waiting for the garbage truck to come and pick it up.  Or, they were building an outdoor bathroom, and were just amassing their required fixtures for the project.  Yeah, this morning?  Smashed on the road, because what else would happen to a toilet left outside overnight?

Shitter's full.  Wait... no it isn't.

Sorry the picture wasn't better, but there was traffic behind me waiting for my photo shoot to end.  Today's beer is the Goliath from Brasserie des Geants, a Belgian tripel.  It pours a hazy gold color, and you pick up a floral, somewhat sweet aroma.  When you take a sip, you notice honey, sweet malt, with a hint of pepper and hops in the finish.  Good amount of carbonation, and it packs a solid 9.0% ABV.

This brewery name translates to 'Brewery of the Giants' and to be quite honest, I'm not entirely sure about the deal with this brewery.  The bottle says that it's produced by Brasserie des Legendes, but when you go to the Legendes web page, you see content for Brasserie des Geants and La Brasserie Ellezelloise.  If someone knows the story, as my internet searching and Dutch translation skills aren't doing me any good today.

Giants not included

What I did seem to learn is that giants appear to live in this area of southern Belgium, and it's believed the Biblical story of David and Goliath was taken from old legends in this area.  Or, something like that.  They do have a giant-themed festival every year, if anyone is up for a road trip.

Thing to Think About Today:
My brewery research is giving me a headache, so I'm sticking with the giant theme and getting out of here.  Headed to the park for a picnic dinner.  Later, peoples.


No comments:

Post a Comment