Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Wolf This One Down

Day #714 Werewolf / Caledonian Brewing Company, Edinburgh, Scotland
Previously from this brewery: two reviews of John Smith's Extra Smooth Ale

Game Day!

Today's review is a beer that was in the fridge for seemingly an eternity.  No clue where it came from or when it arrived.  I guess a beer from Newcastle isn't that cool and kept getting pushed to the back of the pack when I've had some of the rarest and most magnificent beers in the world over the past two years. That being said, Newcastle Brown Ale was one of the first "good" beers I started drinking when I realized there was more to beer than just "cold" or "less filling".

The Werewolf is a special edition red ale (blood red ale, according to the bottle) that has a dark amber hue, and a quickly dissipating white head.  Your nose finds aromas of toffee and malt, and there are flavors of bread, berries, and toffee, with a dry bitterness on the finish.  This beer isn't exactly outstanding, but is certainly drinkable if you're looking for something in the blood red ale genre.  And who isn't?
I'll call my wolf guy....
Thing to Think About Today:
I've already used the song Werewolves of London and the movie Teen Wolf in this space, thus using up two of my three favorite wolf motifs.  The third?  Duran Duran and Hungry Like the Wolf.  Ah, the 80s. Never not awesome.  Have a good Saturday, my friends..... go Penn State!

"I'm on the hunt I'm after you...."

No comments:

Post a Comment