Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Beer 267: Three Things Including Caracole Nostradamus

I'm thinking about three things this gloomy Sunday.

1. There is a whole lot of you who read the blog and seemed genuinely interested in it. That is a pretty awesome feeling. Although best comment of the day goes to someone who doesn't read it. "I see that you write that blog. I don't read it. But I notice that you write it." I'm paraphrasing wildly but have to share because it cracked me up. I love brutal honesty.

2. Penn State football. Going into yesterday's game, there were times that I thought, of course, we're going to beat Ohio University. Who doesn't beat the Ohio University Bobcats? There were moments that I was convinced there was just too much pressure on a young team and we'd choke and spend the afternoon embarrassing ourselves.

The result was pretty overwhelmingly the latter but there were a lot of glimmers of hope. Those moments of clarity where things clicked and all was not lost. But the team couldn't string enough of those moments together and those darn Bobcats won the day. It is going to be a long season. It is going to be a roller coaster of a season. And I am going to love every moment of it.

3. Beer. Although for the past eight or so months, it's challenging to pinpoint a time when I'm not thinking about beer.

Today's beer: Caracole Nostradamus - a Belgian strong dark ale brewed in Belgium that weighs in at 9% ABV.


It poured an almost black brown color with a very thick, dense tan head. Based on the beer's smell, I knew I was going to love it. I may even have declared that I needed a spoon so I could eat the head like ice cream! It was creamy and tart sweet.

The smell was toasty bourbon with caramel and some spice. It drank with a medium mouthfeel that was lightened by the carbonation. The flavor had anise, roasted malt, caramel and molasses. As it warmed up a bit, hints of lemon and raisin came through. This is an excellent beer.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. 11-1 Marci. Thanks for having us yesterday. It was a great time.

    ReplyDelete