Breweries "Visited"

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Party Like It's 1809!

Beer #27 1809 Berliner Weiss / Professor Fritz Briem, Munich, Germany

I saw a woman wearing a sleeveless leather vest to work today.  Leather-ish, anyway, maybe vinyl.  This was worn as a top, not outerwear.  All of this was very odd (I don't work in a Harley dealership or a sex dungeon) and I'm furious I didn't get a picture.  Imagine the picture below, but gray, and with more buckles but fewer chrome studs.  Yep.

Illustrative purposes only - not actual vest!
Now that I've shared this unusual fact with you, I'm going to drink a beer and figure out whether or not I can wear my sleeveless puffy winter vest as my shirt tomorrow.  The beer while I'm thinking is one of my all time favorites, the 1809 Berliner Weiss from Professor Fritz Briem.  Briem isn't a brewery, but rather a brewer, and perhaps a professor at a school in Germany which teaches people how to brew beer.  And why didn't I go to college here?

This beer has a hazy yellow color, with a relatively fluffy white head.  The aroma is a blast of tart, funky citrus, when you drink it you get a glorious mix of tart and sour thanks to the Brettanomyces, with lemon, a hint of grape, green apple, and grain.  This beer is outstanding and eminently drinkable - the standard bearer for what a Berliner Weisse should be.  Which of course means it's headed for the Top 25 list of beers/breweries for the year.

Sexy time.
This beer was one of the first beers that got us deep onto the path of liking high end craft beer.  Thanks to Teresa's Next Door in Wayne for originally introducing us to this amazing brew!

Thing to Think About Today:
If we're talking about leather outfits in the workplace and 1809, let's go ahead and think about a guy who wears leather outfits to work and sings about 1999.  Indeed, people - it's time for some Prince!



1 comment:

  1. this one is actually sour because of the bacteria lactobacillus, which produces lactic acid. usually it's found in conjunction with brett. this one is pretty much all lacto. (russian river supplication is about 80% lactobacillus, to give another frame of reference)

    ReplyDelete