Breweries "Visited"

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Port of Call

Beer #283 Old Style Porter / St. Peter's Brewery, Bungay, England

I wish I had more time to write, I might have something interesting to say.  Unfortunately, it's already 9pm and this is the first time I've stopped moving since I woke up today.  Let's just get into it, shall we?

The beer for the evening is the Old Style Porter from St. Peter's Brewery.  In your glass you see a black color beer, with some mahogany hues and a nearly non-existent off-white head.  The aroma is pleasing, with lightly toasted malts and some chocolate.  The taste is loaded with a toasted malt flavor, but it's not overly bitter or burnt. There's a thin mouth feel, with hints of chocolate and caramel malt.  Not a bad beer, even though I never would claim to be a big fan of porters.  This particular one checks in at a relaxed 5.1% ABV.

Colonial!
This brewery, from the Suffolk countryside, has been in operation since 1996.  Their distinctively shaped bottle is based on an old gin bottle from colonial America.  In fact, the old bottle has a connection to an inn on the Delaware River, on the New Jersey side.  Now you know!

Thing to Think About Today:
Okay, so we're talking drinking a porter today.  It's late, I'm tired, I'n not into religion to tie in St. Peter's, so therefore I can't think of anything more appropriate than Johnny Cash's rendition of Hey Porter.  Time for bed, kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment