Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, September 1, 2012

FINALLY!

Beer #266 Gaffel Kölsch / Privatbrauerei Gaffel Becker & Co, Cologne, Germany

Finally, it's here!!!!  After a long, tumultuous off season, we're back in business in State College today.  Tailgate starts at the bright and early hour of 7am, the motor home should be arriving by 8am, and we'll be in full swing shortly thereafter.  I've been going to Penn State football games since I was seven years old, so by now it's simply part of my DNA.  Some of my fondest memories happened in that parking lot, and I intend to use this season to continue that trend.

The beer for the day is Gaffel Kölsch from Gaffel Becker, which has a clear gold color.  There are aromas of grain and barley, and the flavor is clean and simple, with prominent notes of grain, biscuit, and a hint of sweetness.  Easy drinking beer for warm, late summer day.

Hi there.
This brewery traces it's roots back to the late 1800's.  I think... my German isn't that good, and the Google translation doesn't seem to be very coherent today.  Whatevs.

Thing to Think About Today:
We wrap up College Week with not just the greatest film about college ever, but probably one of the greatest films ever, period, end of story.  I'm not sure when I first saw this film, although I specifically recall watching it when I was in high school, and making my mind up that my time in college was going to be the greatest time of my life.

I'm sure you've all seen this one, but it's a tale of the Delta house, a group only worried about the next party they can throw.  That comes to a screeching halt when the Dean decides he wants to kick the trouble makers off campus for good, and enlists the elitist fraternity to help him in the cause.  When he succeeds, it's time for Bluto (expertly played by John Belushi) to lead the Delta's in one last suicide mission for the ages.

In a movie where every scene is a great one, how can I possibly choose one to highlight here?  I've already showed Bluto's speech to rally the Deltas in this space back in January, so let's let Eric Stratton have the floor.  I desperately wanted to be Eric Stratton when I was in college.  Admittedly, I failed in my attempt, but when you reach for the moon and miss, you still land among the stars.  Thanks for spending some time here during College Week.... wonder what we can do to top it next week?


"Mr. Blutarsky....ZERO POINT ZERO."

No comments:

Post a Comment