Breweries "Visited"

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Already Looking Ahead...

Beer # 255 Helles Lager / Fordham Brewing Company, Dover, DE

We're just shy of 70% of the way through our beer adventure, and still trucking along.  I'm already gearing up for next week, as it's going to be a banner week - if you don't follow along every day (and you should, but whatever), make sure to check back in starting on Sunday.  Why?  Because I'm firing up "back to school" week here in my corner of BlogNamedBrew.  No, I won't be drinking any beers which are/were popular with the beer pong set, although more power to anyone who can knock back a case or two of Golden Anniversary or Mil's Best Ice and still function the next day.  Instead, you loyal readers will get plenty of other excitement, culminating with the home football opener for Penn State next Saturday.

For those who don't know me in real life, I live for football season.  I've been going to PSU games since I was about seven years old, and tailgating is embedded deeply into the fiber of my DNA.  While it's been an absurdly challenging off-season for Nittany Lion fans around the world, I feel that getting back out in our parking spot, firing up the grill, and enjoying a few (read: many) beers with friends will bring back a world of normalcy.  Looking forward to it, if you couldn't figure that one out.

Enough looking ahead, let's stop and focus on today.  After a busy day, it's nice to come home and relax with a beer.  Today's offering is the Helles Lager from Fordham Brewing from our neighbor to the south (and home to Total Wine!), Delaware.  In the glass you see a crystal clear golden color, with plenty of bubbles.  There are aromas of grain and malt, and flavors of grain, crackers, and a touch of hops.  There are some hints of sweetness in there, too.  Very easy drinking with a clean finish, and at 5.4% ABV this beer should definitely be on your list for tailgates or picnics.


There was originally a Fordham brewery in Annapolis back in the early 1700's, although there's no direct tie to the current edition, which opened in 1995 in Annapolis and later moved to Dover.  Their logo seems to be a peacock, although no word on the website if there's any significant level of significance attached.  Hey, who doesn't love a peacock, am I right?

Thing to Think About Today:
This song was going to be the thing to think about yesterday, in the spirit of my car needing a state inspection.  However, the iPod and fate intervened for some Afternoon Delight, and instead you get the thing to think about yesterday to think about today.  But there's still a connection.  Ford(ham)... Ford cars... cars.... My Hooptie.  See what I did there?  Yeah, or not.  Sir Mix A Lot, go get 'em.




No comments:

Post a Comment