Breweries "Visited"

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Beer 243: Five Finger Discounts and White Rascals

Is it strange that every time I walk through the make-up section at CVS, I have an overwhelming urge to steal lipstick or lip balm?  I'm 37 years old. I have disposable income. I don't want for anything.  And yet I have a very visceral urge to five-finger-discount the latest lip gloss. 

Confession time.  I stole a lipstick once.  It was YEARS ago. I was in high school and snagged a Revlon Colorstay lipstick. I'm pretty sure I wore it once and it screamed, "I'm stolen!" the entire night. 

Yeah, I'm a goody-two-shoes dork. 

Now onto the less dorky part of my writing.  Let's talk about Avery Brewing's  White Rascal. It is a Belgian Wheat ale or white ale -- unfiltered with flavors of coriander and Curaçao orange peel producing a refreshingly zesty classic ale per Avery's website.  I had this one on draught at TJ's in Paoli. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the White Rascal although I tend to really like white ales.  It hit all the right tasting notes -- coriander, wheat, citrus zest. There was even a little bit of banana in there.  It had a great mouthfeel.  It poured an nice, hazy blond with a good head and left just a bit of lacing.  I would rate it up there with other favorite white ales, which include Hitachino Nest White Ale, Blanche de Bruxelles, Allagash. 

I'm looking forward to day 367 of this adventure so I can start revisiting breweries because there is a long list from Avery that could be among the first.  At the head of the pack is Avery's Samaels -- an oak aged ale with an ABV of 15.5%!  It's a limited edition release and since that happened back in April...I may be SOL. 

     Dear Beer Gods,
    
     Please send me a bottle of Samaels. Just one. I won't be greedy.
    
     Love,
               Marci

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment