Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Bittersweet and Sour

Beer #252 Freigeist Abraxxxas / Gasthause-Brauerei Braustelle, Cologne, Germany

Brief update today, as we're headed out to a Sour Beer Fest in the city.  Some ridiculously ridiculous beers on tap, including some rather hard to find brews.  Can not wait.

With this in mind, I'll go ahead and review a Berlinerweiss, the Freigiest Abraxxxas from Gasthaus-Brauerei Braustelle.  This beer is hazy yellow with a thin head, and gives off the aroma of bacon.  I'm not even kidding.  Bacon.  The taste is an unexpected mix of smoked meats with a tart and sour undercurrent and a clean finish.  The best word I can use to describe this beer: interesting.  Wasn't bad, although I'm not sure I'd order these on a regular basis.  Might be a good beer to pair with brunch due to the bacon element.  Marci's take on this unusual beer can be found here.

Doesn't look like bacon.

They claim to be Germany's smallest brewery, for whatever that's worth.  Their website is tiny, that much I can say.

Thing to Think About Today:
Instead of sour, we'll close out today with something bittersweet.  As in, Bittersweet by Big Head Todd and the Monsters.  And we'll just go ahead and use their concert footage from Red Rocks, because I've been there before.

No comments:

Post a Comment