Breweries "Visited"

Monday, August 27, 2012

Beer 261: Pike Brewing Scotch Ale

I caught the Counting Crows' Rain King on my way home tonight. Maybe it's the weather, which is currently perfect. Or maybe it's the anticipation of the first home game of Penn State's new season. But there is something in the air and it's giving me some wanderlust. But not wanderlust for a particular place but rather a time. I want to go back to 1996 or 1997 when I could sit on the patio at the Cafe and people watch on Friday afternoon, and when happy hour rolled around, order a tea and go dance like a fool in front of John Cunningham.

I absolutely love to hear JC perform Rain King. It's slightly sad, but hopeful. What I wouldn't give to be in that dark back room, drink in hand and to have the chance to throw my head back and sing along, wildly off key without a care in this world. I guess my singalong in the car will have to suffice in washing away the serious, grown up things that have piled up since the last time I sung off key at the Cafe. The mortgages and car payments. The cancer and death and dying. The celebrations. Addiction and depression. Marriage, divorce and love the second time around.

Life is complex and simple all at the same time. Every time you think you have it figured out, it gets more mysterious. And just when you've had enough, it sorts itself out and clarity is yours. Just like that...

I haven't a clue how to segue into a beer review.

Pike Brewing Company's Kilt Lifter scotch ale is my beer of the night. Pike is based in Seattle and we walked right by when we were there in June. If we weren't running through a typical Seattle rain storm, we definitely would have stopped in. But an oyster happy hour was calling our names.


The Kilt Lifter poured a cloudy chestnut color. It smells of lemons and raisins. It drinks with lots of body. The flavor had lots of malt with just enough hop bite and what I could only describe as chamomile. After about half the glass I also swore I tasted some smoky mesquite...odd. This is a good beer.

I belong in the service of the queen. I belong anywhere but in between.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment