Breweries "Visited"

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Beer 255: Three for Threesday...I mean Tuesday

I'm inadvertently celebrating a Two fer Tuesday Three for Threesday...I mean Tuesday. Sadly the beer beers I had planned to review turned out to be too directly related to the Grimbergen Pale Ale -- and Leipziger Gose that I reviewed a mere 11 beers ago and months ago.  Rats, I say! Rats!

The beer originally planned for today was the Mort Subite Kriek Lambic.  This was one of the beverages enjoyed at SourFest at Devil's Den on Saturday.  While decidedly not sour, this lambic was sweet and tart. Depending on who you asked at our table, the tartness varied greatly. Also interesting is that the fact that I tasted more strawberry in the flavor than cherry.  It poured a pretty rosy brown color with a barely pink but sticky head. It was tasty but I can't imagine drinking more than one.

The Mort Subite Kriek was followed by the Bayerischer Bahnhof Leipziger -- a Baltic porter with Brettanomyces.  Of the porters, Baltic porters are my favorite. I love beers with Brettanomyces. The description of this one sounded oddly like Jolly Pumpkin's Madrugada Obscura. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

It's brewed in Germany at Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof. It appeared to be a very dark brown, almost black in the glass with a thick craggy head.  It smelled like dark fruit. No earthy funk in the nose.  The flavor was roasted and slightly smoky. At first the tartness wasn't there for me but as it sat I noticed more tartness coming out along with some strong hops.

Pardon the profanity laced interruption. MOTHERFUCKER. I ALREADY DRANK THIS GODDAMNED BREWERY IN FEBRUARY. How does my beer addled brain not pick up on any recollection of that bizarre, impossible to pronounce name??? I EVEN MADE FUN OF IT BACK IN FEBRUARY.  SHIT. Damn. Poop. Hell.

I may actually cry.

Seriously.

Seriously this is the last review I'm writing tonight. If I find out that I already reviewed Fordham Brewing, you will never know. NEVER.  Fordham is brewed in Dover, Delaware but claims heritage dating to 1703 in Annapolis, Maryland.  It appears that the brewery was founded way back in 1703, operated for years and was shuttered for a number of years until an enterprising group of brewers reopened it in 1995.  The Helles Lager poured a golden straw color with no head.  It had medium carbonation. It smelled of sweet caramel malt and grains. The taste is very malt dominant but clean and crisp. It has a nice hopped finish with a taste of biscuits every now and again. It's quite easy to drink.

Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment