Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Beer 329: Harlem Beer Company and a Call to Action

Whatever you want to call her...hurricane, superstorm, cyclone...Sandy wreaked havoc on the east coast. I know many people, whether through real life or Internet connections, who were deeply impacted by this storm. Friends have been without power for days. One of their parents lost everything. As I sit here at age 37, looking at the life I've created for myself, I can't begin to imagine what it's like to have it all washed away after a much fuller lifetime.

I thank god we were spared this time around. Last October we weren't so lucky. But after a week of living without power, tossing out everything in our refrigerator and several thousand dollars in home repairs, we're back to normal. In fact, the house is looking better than ever. But our neighborhood wasn't destroyed. Our schools were fine. I didn't find myself in a shelter or dealing with FEMA.

This time around I find myself feeling guilty and lost. What can I do? I'm just far enough away to make the logistics of volunteering in person too challenging. It's time to put my money where my mouth is and make a contribution to the relief efforts. And I'm asking you to do the same.

Click one of the links below to support either the Red Cross or the ASPCA. Better yet, click both of them like I did!






Another option is a donation of blood. Countless blood drives were cancelled during and after this storm and blood is a much needed resource all the time -- not just during natural disasters. Check out the Red Cross's site for a blood drive near you.

Just in case the links above don't work, click here for the Red Cross and here for the ASPCA.

In keeping with my New York theme, I'm reviewing the Sugar Hill golden ale from the Harlem Beer Company.



It poured a golden apricot color with a thin white head and has a bready fruit aroma with undertones of honey. The flavor has some metallic hop bite, biscuit and fruity hop. It's an easy drinking beer. Not one I would go out of my way to find but enjoyable. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment