Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Beer 330: Lion Brewing and the Home Stretch

Thirty-five days are left between now and the conclusion of this ridiculous endeavor. But is it the end or is there life after 366 days of beer? 366, you ask? Yes. 366 because, of course, I decide to challenge myself during a leap year!

There's lots to ponder during the next 35 days. How will I whittle down my top 25 list to 25 beers? There's currently somewhere near 40 beers on that list. What happens on day 367? Has all this writing helped honor my Mom's memory? What have I learned? Patience, grasshopper. All will be revealed soon.

I'm giving a little love today to a relatively hometown beer. The Stegmaier Oktoberfest from Lion Brewery. A little history from their website: The Lion Brewery was built in 1905 as the Luzerne County Brewing Company. Four years later it became known as The Lion Brewery. It's located in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. The Stegmaier brand was acquired from the Stegmaier Brewery in 1974, which was also located in Wilkes-Barre.


The Oktoberfest pours a deep copper color with a loose white head. It has an ABV of 5.7%. The aroma is fruit, light malts, some light hops. The taste -- per my notes -- is wow! There's lots happening here. I first notice the sweetness....redolent of caramel. Then there's some fruit followed quickly by a nice bite from the hops. Underlying it all is an even graininess. This is a very smooth beer and it's very easy to drink. I'll rate it a good. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment