Breweries "Visited"

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Beer 332: Florida Beer Co. Swamp Ale and Random Thoughts

Did you vote? I voted. I was #92 at my polling station. I wish I remembered what position I held in previous elections to know whether there were more or less people voting. I tend to show up at the same time every year so the nerd in me is curious about it.

In addition to doing my civic duty, I'm also trying to eat healthier.  It started with a fancy-pants new juicer and a boatload of fresh fruit and veggies. Wegman's is probably wondering who stole my frequent shopper card and is buying all that produce! I am the world's worst quasi-vegetarian. But now once a day, I take a pile of stuff that looks like this:
2 cups grapes, 2 handfuls spinach, bunch of kale,
head of broccoli, lemon, lime, apple, pear
...and turn it into two pint glasses of deliciousness. Or at least what could be construed as delicious if I got the sweet to savory ratio right. So far the juices have ranged in color from brilliant green (should have gotten a photo of that one!) to the color that results after giving a 4 year old all the orange, green and brown crayons to color with. I couldn't bring myself to create evidence of that one. Hopefully as I get more adept at making juuice, I'll share some of the results. For now, you're better off not seeing the fruits (ha!) of my labor.

In other random thoughts, did you know there's a song about James K. Polk -- the 11th President of the United States? Oh there is thanks to They Might Be Giants.


Things I like about President Polk. If it wasn't for his passion for the Oregon Territory, Portland, Oregon may not have become the beer mecca that it currently is. 54-40 or fight, indeed. 

Speaking of beer but not one from Oregon, let's talk Swamp Ale Imperial IPA from the Florida Beer Company.  This is a whopper of an imperial IPA weighing in at 10% ABV.  The label tells me that it is brewed with five distinct varieties of hops to create an unbelievable, relentlessly hopped India pale ale. They got that right.

It poured an apricot color with a fluffy white head.  Lots of sweet and bitter hops leap out in the aroma.  The flavor is pepper, fruit esters, cinnamon, rum, burnt sugar. Some nice, rich malts are also hiding in there to balance the intensity of the hops. Oddly beeradvocate.com slammed it in the reviews, but I like it. And I like it enough to give is a great rating.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment