Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Countdown Begins!

Beer #336 Swamp Ape / Florida Beer Company, Melbourne, FL
Beers to Go: 30

As you see, the countdown is officially on!!  We're now just 30 beers away from crossing the finish line, which is very exciting.  If anyone out there knows someone at a publishing company who might want to buy the rights to our novel, please send them my way.  I really need to figure out a way to pay for all of the beers along the way.

Today is a PSU game day, and I'll be watching at a tailgate fundraiser.  This is important because I'll be watching on a thirty foot screen, which is a completely surreal way to watch football.  And what goes better with football than beer?

Today's beer is the Swamp Ape, an Imperial IPA from Florida Beer Company.  When you pour it, you see a hazy honey amber color.  The aroma is floral, with citrus and pine, and is that hint of smokiness perhaps?  When you take a sip, you get some honey sweetness, malt, and a dry, bitter finish.  This beer confuses me, because I swear upon all that is holy I picked up a bit of bacon flavor in there.  Maybe I'm wrong, what do I know.  If you're in the market for an Imperial or double IPA, you can give this one a shot, but you might be better off with beers from Hopping Frog, Dark Horse, Central Waters, Bell's, or Weyerbacher, to name a scant few.
I do like the packaging. That ape means business.
If you're ever driving from Daytona south to West Palm Beach along US 1, feel free to stop in and pay these guys a visit.

Thing to Think About Today:
So, I've never run across a swamp ape, but I do fondly recall Grape Ape.  Who's with me on this?  Kids today don't need all of these strange new shows (the Wiggles? Seriously?), they need some Hanna-Barbera and Warner Brothers cartoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment