Breweries "Visited"

Friday, November 16, 2012

Beer 342: Stoudt's Scarlet Lady and a Growing Problem

I may be addicted to striped sweaters. Another one came home with me today.


This photo doesn't do it justice. It is fantastically neon pink with black and white stripes. Because if there's one thing I love almost as much as a striped sweater lately, it's neon. Another color I love? Scarlet. As in Stoudt's Scarlet Lady ale.

Stoudt's is located in Adamstown, Pennsylvania, which I just learned is Antiques Capital USA. It's trademarked so you know it's true. I highly recommend a visit. Stoudt's makes some awesome beers and it's an incredibly easy place to get to. While the Scarlet Lady ranks fairly high on my favorite beers list, I'm also a fan of their Fat Dog stout, Heifer-in-Wheat and Karnival Kolsch. The Karnival Kolsch has become a beer of choice at Franklin Institute events. Sadly my distributor couldn't get any for me at the most recent event, but rest assured I'll have something from Stoudt's at upcoming events. I'm slowly converting the macro-beer drinkers in Philadelphia. Watch out!

I was lucky to find the Scarlet Lady on the hand pump at Teresa's Next Door last night. I love beer on the hand pump. I think it brings out a lot more of the subtle flavors in a beer. Scarlet Lady is an extra special bitter -- one of my favorite styles. It smells of nutty malt and pours a lovely reddish amber color with a thick, off white head.


The flavor is robust malt with a nice bitter finish. There are notes of caramel, nuts and just a little grassiness. It's nice crisp beer with a full body. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment