Breweries "Visited"

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Crushes, Creeks

Beer #339 Up the Creek / Thomas Creek Brewery, Greenville, SC
Beers to go: 27

And so ends another season of old man basketball.  A disappointing first round loss sends us home for another long, cold winter.  Or, at least until the league starts back up again in February.  As I sit here and type this, I can't even remember the last time a team I played on won the last game of the season and took home a championship.  College?  Back in the glory days of the Saullo-Serany League in high school (won my freshman and senior years, thank you very much).  Need to start working the free agent market to see what we can do to add to the roster.  I'm tired of watching someone else cut down the nets.  Hypothetically speaking, that is - they don't let us cut down the nets.

Tonight, I drown my sorrows in beer, a bottle of Up the Creek, a double IPA from Thomas Creek Brewery.  You see a bright, clear dark amber, with persistent off white head.  The aroma is a blast of hops; tons of citrus and pine greet your nose.  The taste has a good balance of caramel, sweet malt and hops, and a boozy warmth that sort of makes it feel like a Belgian quad.  The boozy warmth makes sense, as this beer packs a wallop with 12.5% ABV.  I think the booze sort of hides some of the citrus you expect in an IPA, although there is a nice and dry bitter finish.  A rather good double IPA for those hop fanatics out there.  Find it, and then drink it.
Big, big beer
Thomas Creek is family owned and operated, and started commercial production in 1998.  In addition, they employ two brewery dogs (Barley and Porter), border collies who work to greet visitors and clean up spills.

Thing to Think About Today:
I will admit this fact without shame or embarrassment.  I used to religiously watch Dawson's Creek.  Yes, the over dramatically acted story of teens growing up and finding love, laughter, disappointment, and life lessons in the town of Capeside.  James Van Der Beek in all his glory.  I admit I watched this with ulterior motives, and that would be my super enormous crush on Katie Holmes (back before she took the plunge and found Tom Cruise and Scientology, anyway).  I mean, who out there would fault me for that?  No one, that's who.
Katie, you left your toothbrush at my house again!
While we're on the subject, Michelle Williams was no slouch either.  Anyway, with a beer from Thomas Creek in hand, let's all remember the good old days of the WB, and crushes long gone:

No comments:

Post a Comment