Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Cider, Mergers, Wolves, Politicians

Beer #330 Fox Barrel Blackberry Pear / Crispin Cider Company, Minneapolis, MN
Today will be spent making brunch, enjoying a mimosa, watching old movies, and generally not doing any of the things on my to-do list that desperately need to get done.  Sorry, responsibilities - I'll check back with you on Monday morning.

Have no fear, the reviews keep rolling, and today I'm updating you on Fox Barrel Blackberry Pear cider, which I had recently on draft at TJ's.  Fox Barrel started as an independent company in Colfax, CA, but was purchased in 2010 by Crispin Cider Company, so I'm giving the credit to the guys paying the bills..... sort of.  You see, Crispin has since been acquired by MillerCoors.  All hail our corporate overlords!!!  From what I gather, Crispin (MillerCoors?) shifted production to Fox Barrel's original site in California rather than a MillerCoors site, so we'll allow this one on the books for our craft beer adventure.  Fun times.

Anyway, after all that nonsense, let's talk about the actual cider!  In the glass, you see a clear reddish amber color, and the aroma is of fruit and berries.  The taste has sweetness, but nothing artificial and nothing overpowering.  The finish is crisp and dry, and if you're in the market for a cider, this is a good option to check out.
Cider.  Drink it.
I've already ran down the details on this brewery, so instead I can share that Colfax, CA is named for Schuyler Colfax, who served as Vice President under Ulysses S. Grant.  Colfax had visited the town (previously known as Alder Grove and Illinoistown) in 1865 while he was Speaker of the House, and apparently it was a big enough event that they renamed the town for him.  Three last odd facts: Colfax is one of only two people to ever serve as both Speaker of the House and Vice President, there are towns named after Colfax in seven U.S. states, and he was initiated as a member of Beta Theta Pi despite having never attended college.  More proof that Betas are weirdos that are desperate for friends, I guess.

Thing to Think About Today:
Wasn't all that Schuyler Colfax info wasn't enough to think about?  No, there's more!  Here we go:  if today's brew is a Fox Barrel, then we're thinking of Michael J. Fox, and because Halloween was just last week and I love basketball, we're wrapping up one of the stranger posts of the past year with Teen Wolf!

Seriously, check my math.  I just went cider + actor + holiday (involving werewolves) + basketball = TEEN WOLF!  I mean, who doesn't love a movie that features a mild-mannered student who magically morphs into the bastard love child of "Pistol" Pete Maravich and Sasquatch, becoming the most popular kid in school in the process?  I know you love it just as much as I do.....



No comments:

Post a Comment