Breweries "Visited"

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Beer 151: Lavery Farmhouse Ale

I'm embarassed to be an American.

The rights I have should be the same rights that any American has regardless of sexual orientation.  I'm also absolutely exhausted by the mixing of politics and religion.  I don't shove my atheism down your throat.  Don't shove your christianity down my throat. 

Why can't everyone subscribe to the "Don't Be a Dick" philosophy of life?  I fear that it's not going to get better.  I fear that it's going to get much, much worse before we can even think about it getting better.

***

And on that uplifting thought, it's time for beer.  Tonight we opened a Lavery Brewing Company farmhouse ale -- the Liopard Oir.  Lavery is a Pennsylvanian like me.  At this moment, I'm kind of happy that I share the Commonwealth with them because this is a pretty good beer.  The Liopard Oir is brewed with barley, wheat, rye, oats and corn and hopped with locally sourced hops.  It's bottled with Brettanomyces - and everyone now:   That's a good thing in my book!  Brett provides a great tartness to a beer.

In case you were wondering about a translation of Liopard Oir, it means gold leopard.  The label states that represents for Lavery the long history of brewers and their close relationship to the land.  I'm also going to assume it has something to do with the lovely golden hue of this beer.

This farmhouse ale poured golden and cloudy and has lots of carbonation.  The white head disappeared pretty quickly but is leaving lots of lacing behind.  A good swirl of my glass releases that Brett smell - tart and tangy and a touch of lemon.  The flavor is biscuit, citrus, a little hop bite and a touch of funk.  It drinks with a full mouthfeel but finishes crisp.

Overall this is a terrific beer.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment